Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Sprocket Guard

Hi all,

Can someone please give me a few dimensions of the metal guard that bolts onto the bottom of the swingarm to protect the lower chain run and rear sprocket on a 1964 24TES?

I need to make one and can't mock it up to work out dimensions, as the wheels are dismantled and hubs away getting cleaned.

The clear width inside, clear height, which side is straight, and the material thickness will help.

Thanks in advance,

Peter Barnett
    New Zealand.

Seek...and ye shall indeed, probably find.....

Step 1;

Look-up part number for the TES Chainguide from TES factory parts book posted on this thread (Post #11, Pic 5); http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...?t=4738&page=2

TES Chainguide = M19/X70.

Step 2;

Cross-reference with same part for TCS in TCS factory parts book posted on same thread as above (Post #7, Pic 5) ; http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...ead.php?t=4738

TCS Chainguard = M5/X70.

Step 3;

Look at and then download factory drawings and pic of Scottish Chainguide (M5/X70 - TCS) from Andrew Kings' comprehensive article covering Greeves Scottish models * posted on this thread (Post #1, Pic 5); http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...ead.php?t=4859

Step 4;

Make a mock-up in stiff card and offer up to see if it fits/is the same.....bet it is...! All being well, proceed to metal.

Brian.

* EVERYONE with a Greeves Scottish trials bike should read this....if they haven't already......
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 26/07/2015, 03:41 PM. Reason: Links added.

Comment

my TFS has its guard missing. will the TES one be the same?

Comment

TFS Chainguide.....

Step 1;

Look up part number for TFS Chainguide from factory parts book posted on this thread (Post #2, Pic 5); http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...ead.php?t=4738

TFS Chainguide = M19/X70

Step 2;

Compare with info given in above post, i.e TES Chainguide = M19/X70.

Answer.....YES!

Terminology.....the ChainGUIDE is the part bolted to the rear underside of the swingarm near the sprocket, referred to as a 'sprocket-guard' in the original post of this thread. The ChainGUARD is the larger part bolted to the upper side of the swingarm.
        Last edited by Brian Thompson; 27/07/2015, 10:08 AM. Reason: Links added.

Comment

Brian,

Thanks for the brilliant reply full of lots of good information.
          I did try searching previous forum posts but obviously used the wrong search terms.
          As your reply demonstrates there is a wealth of information contained in past posts.
          The good news is I now have a drawing of the part I need (and incidentally another I hadn't asked about) and both look straight forward to make.
          Thanks again,
          Peter.

Comment

Doing the research is all part of the fun....isn't it....?!

No worries Peter, and glad you were able to find what you needed.

Re your kind comments.......exactly so, and thank you. As has been said many times before, a little bit of time spent doing some research on the forum can often go a long way.....

All the best.

Brian.
            Last edited by Brian Thompson; 27/07/2015, 01:12 PM. Reason: Spelllin'....

Comment

Well done again Brian,
              Your enthusiasm for anything Greeves is terrific , the club, and I for one really appreciate all the time you spend sorting problems out for our members, and trust you will carry on with it i know it seems a thankless task with a lot of the freeloaders etc but keep at it. thanks Dicky

Comment

Originally posted by Dick F View Post
                Well done again Brian,
                Your enthusiasm for anything Greeves is terrific , the club, and I for one really appreciate all the time you spend sorting problems out for our members, and trust you will carry on with it i know it seems a thankless task with a lot of the freeloaders etc but keep at it. thanks Dicky
                here here, well said

Colin

Comment

Many thanks Brian. I will make one up for my bike now. She is nearly finished and going for MOT this week.

Comment

Working...
                  X