Greeves NSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greeves NSU

Found this on Trials Central Forum , is this a copy of the Brian Stonebridge bike ?

Its Barry Keymer's bike http://www.pre65.co.uk/images/cover/...GreevesNSU.jpg pic taken at Tye Farm.

Comment

John I wondered about the pictures of the frame ?

Comment

Originally posted by trialrider17 View Post
        John I wondered about the pictures of the frame ?
        Barry is a GRA member so maybe he will come on & tell us about it. There was an article by Colin Sparrow about the Stonebridge NSU's in LL 146/147 (April/June 2009) I am sure Barry's bike was mentioned there.

Another pic of Barry Keymers NSU Greeves taken in 2004 by Michael Eustice at Battlesbridge
        Attached Files
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 08/11/2023, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Barry Keymer's bike is the NSU/Hawkstone special which Brian Stonebridge put together (without Bert's knowledge) in 1958. He was after a competitive 250cc engine because at the time only the 197cc 9E Villiers (or the 2T twin) was available to him. The special was built to test the concept. See page 66 of my book.

It led, of course, to the 1959 NSU/Greeves with bespoke frame which Stonebridge rode in at least four rounds of the European Championship, using the first square barrel 250 for other rounds. He came second in the championship to Rolf Tibblin on his Husky.

See page 75 & 76 of the book.
          Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 12/04/2016, 08:40 AM.
          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Nsu greeves

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
            Barry Keymer's bike is the NSU/Hawkstone special which Brian Stonebridge put together (without Bert's knowledge) in 1958. He was after a competitive 250cc engine because at the time only the 197cc 9E Villiers (or the 2T twin) was available to him. The special was built to test the concept. See page 66 of my book.

It led, of course, to the 1959 NSU/Greeves with bespoke frame which Stonebridge rode in at least four rounds of the European Championship, using the first square barrel 250 for other rounds. He came second in the championship to Rolf Tibblin on his Husky.

See page 75 & 76 of the book.
            Hi Colin!
            After the Success of Brian at the Swiss 250 MX-Round 1959 with the NSU/GREEVES and followed by Dave Bickers overall Win 1960 with GREEVES we startet to sell GREEVES in Switzerland,the first 4 Bikes in April/May 1959
            On the 24/01/1961 we sold Rolling Chassis Frame No.SCS 61/1963 to Mr.Hans Knöpfel who put an NSU Engine into this Frame.He rode the Bike in MX Events 1961/62 in Europe.So if this Bike still exist,it is not a Brian Stonebridge Bike!

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie Hausler View Post
              Hi Colin!
              After the Success of Brian at the Swiss 250 MX-Round 1959 with the NSU/GREEVES and followed by Dave Bickers overall Win 1960 with GREEVES we startet to sell GREEVES in Switzerland,the first 4 Bikes in April/May 1959
              On the 24/01/1961 we sold Rolling Chassis Frame No.SCS 61/1963 to Mr.Hans Knöpfel who put an NSU Engine into this Frame.He rode the Bike in MX Events 1961/62 in Europe.So if this Bike still exist,it is not a Brian Stonebridge Bike!
              Hi Ernie.

There were one or two other NSU Greeves put together around that time - one in Northern Ireland possibly?

Dave Bickers made one but decided he didn't like it and dismantled it.

The concept was made redundant by the 32A and the square barrel of course.

Recently Vic Allan made a couple.

Pity the future historian!
              Colin Sparrow

Comment

NSU Greeves.

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
                There are some pics of the second bike (mentioned above) following it's restoration by John Fryatt here in one of my albums. (See 4 pics at bottom of first page and 1 at top of second page.) http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for....php?albumid=1

There's also a short video on YouTube (posted by our very own Gary Gwillam!) of the same bike being fired up by Ian Stonebridge, Brian's son, at the GRA AGM that year (2009), here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcZWOkABSbw (The bloke in the black bike kit with his arms folded [at the back/middle-behind Ian until 0.45] is actually me.....)
                Good work Gaz...sound's awesome!!!

Brian.
                Last edited by Brian Thompson; 18/07/2016, 02:56 PM. Reason: Links added.

Comment

Working...
                X