Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

British Anzani Engined Greeves Information - Post 1 of 5.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Anzani Engined Greeves Information - Post 1 of 5.

As so little seems to be 'out there' covering these Greeves models, as promised I've had a further dig through my files and found this excellent set of articles, put together by Andrew King and published in LL#38, December 1990. I trust Andrew won't mind me posting them here, in the interests of helping out some fellow members who may not have this issue of 'LL' or seen this information before.

I've posted them primarily in response to Stuart Baskill's recent and ongoing enquries via the forum for parts and info on these bikes, although I hope Andy B will benefit as well, and that other forum members will find them of interest.

Including posting, it will have taken me just under five hours putting it all together this morning, including spending an age repairing and enhancing the main 'exploded view' engine drawing to remove the damage on the original so I could present it here as an additional image, and doing the same with any other engine drawings included in the articles. It meant having to do more scans, but I have also seperated the pages individually to increase quality/viewability, especially with the photographs. The quality of the images I had to work with were not great, but I've done my best for you. As such, I hope it has been worthwhile, for someone at least...

I will spread the content over five consecutive posts due to the amount of material, and so I could group the images more effectively for reference.

And please, if anyone has any parts to assist Stuart with his restoration, do get in touch with him if you can help.

This first post includes scans of Andrew Kings article 'An Introduction To The British Anzani Engined Greeves.'

Brian T.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 30/12/2013, 03:41 AM. Reason: Pics attached.

British Anzani Engined Greeves Information - Post 2 of 5.

This post includes scans of the final two pictures from AK's article detailing frame differences between 1954 and 1955 models.

Also included are scans of an article from 'The Motor Cycle' (9/4/53), 'Rotary Valve Two-stroke Twins', as well as a further article from 'Motor Cycling', (19/8/54) 'A 322cc Twin Two-stroke' and finally a British Anzani Specifications sheet.

More to follow....

Brian T.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 27/12/2013, 12:08 PM. Reason: Pics attached.

Comment

British Anzani Engined Greeves Information - Post 3 of 5.

This post includes an article from 'The Motor Cycle', (17/5/56) '322 cc British Anzani Uni-Twin', complete with an excellent drawing of the engine (which I have included as an edited and enhanced/repaired image in Post 4, along with others from these articles.)

More to follow....

Brian T.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Brian Thompson; 27/12/2013, 12:19 PM. Reason: Pics attached.

Comment

Britsish Anzani Engined Greeves Information - Post 4 of 5.

This post includes the edited, repaired and enhanced scans of the superb drawings in the previous article (see above), as mentioned earlier, as well as another engine drawing from an article included in the next post.

More to follow.....

Brian T.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Brian Thompson; 27/12/2013, 12:32 PM. Reason: Pics attached.

Comment

British Anzani Engined Greeves Information - Post 5 of 5.

This final post in the sequence includes two further period articles, the first having been published in 'The Motor Cycle', (26/5/55) entitled '242cc Greeves Twin'.

The second article is a test of the 322cc Anzani engined Greeves 'Fleetmaster', originally published in 'Motor Cycling' (30/6/55.)

Hope that little lot is of interest chaps, and if anything else turns up I will post it.

Brian T.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Brian Thompson; 27/12/2013, 12:46 PM. Reason: Pics attached.

Comment

Where's the post(s)...

Mmmmm......I wonder if I'm doing this all wrong......

Let's see now.....This thread has had 54 views since midday and no responses, but took a lot of effort to post....

Meanwhile, JW's 'Postal Charges' thread (http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...ead.php?t=3907) had 50 views and no responses either, up until Christmas eve....then we opened the 'Can Of Worms' (and it clearly states on the can DO NOT OPEN!) , and yet look at what has happened.....!! 32 responses (from 0) and 526 views (an increase of 476 in just over three days), and counting....

Furthermore, it should be obvious that the posts on that thread took no effort or care whatsoever to produce.....

Where am I going wrong chaps....?

Or do I need to open another can of worms on this thread as well...

Confused, in the Cotswolds.
            Last edited by Brian Thompson; 28/12/2013, 12:12 AM. Reason: Link added.

Comment

Don't know why I bothered writing my book with you around!
              Colin Sparrow

Comment

An amateur speaks....

Yes Colin, but you only spent two hours on that.....

And when you get the three emails of appreciation (one of which will probably be from me) at least you will have had some feedback/response, which is more than I got for spending five hours posting all this....

Of course, I can't say how many emails you'll get from 'The Proof Reader' (now who could that be?) after publication....

Brian T.
                Attached Files

Comment

Don`t you listen to him colin, i hope you sell both copies...

Comment

British Anzani

Perhaps the lack of response is because there are not many Anzani engined Greeves about. Just a thought to make you feel a bit better Dave!!! Keep up the good posts...John P.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
                      Mmmmm......I wonder if I'm doing this all wrong......

Let's see now.....This thread has had 54 views since midday and no responses, but took a lot of effort to post....

Meanwhile, JW's 'Postal Charges' thread (http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...ead.php?t=3907) had 50 views and no responses either, up until Christmas eve....then we opened the 'Can Of Worms' (and it clearly states on the can DO NOT OPEN!) , and yet look at what has happened.....!! 32 responses (from 0) and 526 views (an increase of 476 in just over three days), and counting....

Furthermore, it should be obvious that the posts on that thread took no effort or care whatsoever to produce.....

Where am I going wrong chaps....?

Or do I need to open another can of worms on this thread as well...

Confused, in the Cotswolds.
                      Many many thanks.Sorry for the delay in replying but my pc is getting ever closer to a date with a sledge hammer!!!!!!!! Your postings will remain of great help to everybody with an early Greeves.I think the early Greeves are the hardest to restore as info is scarce.Works drawings are few and far between for pre 1957 as are the works records.I don't think any ex Greeves workers go back that far either so we cant ask them.I always prefer my bikes to look original but its hard to find references.The bike new mags and museums aren,t reliable .I spent from 1970 until a few years ago trying to find out what the exhaust looked like for my 1956 20T as all the pictures didn't show it.Dave Bradley had an original exhaust and he kindly let me have it copied.So it took me nearly 40 years to get that right!!!!!! Knowledge is power!!! Its only the help from fellow Greeves fans that can help and is much appreciated.Many thanks for your time

Comment

Yes, invaluable info for someone.....but who has such a bike, I can't remember even seeing one?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
                          Yes, invaluable info for someone.....but who has such a bike, I can't remember even seeing one?
                          Well I have a 1954 25D and a 1955 32D and I know of several others

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post

I've posted them primarily in response to Stuart Baskill's recent and ongoing enquries via the forum for parts and info on these bikes, although I hope Andy B will benefit as well, and that other forum members will find them of interest.

Brian T.
                            Thank you Brian - appreciate the thought, but my 25D is 1958 (mostly!), with a 2T engine, previous owners probably include that Frankenstein chap, - currently approaching roadworthiness, being rebuilt with as many of the parts which it came to me with as is practical - I'll post a pic in due course.

Regards
                            AndyB

Comment

Great to hear of these machines, any chance of a showing or even a demo at the next Battlesbridge?

Comment

Working...
                              X