Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greeves twin shock trials scrambler on ebay (actually TFS Trail model.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greeves twin shock trials scrambler on ebay (actually TFS Trail model.)

Last edited by John Wakefield; 30/09/2014, 09:23 PM.

Hi John,

Its a TFS Trail model from the USA. I have the exact same bike (mine is 1965). The speedometer is original to the trail model and rare. The same type of Greeves speedo came up recently on ebay and went for over $100. The engine is a 34A with a Greeves alloy barrel and cylinder head and wide ratio gears. Interestingly, it is very original and 90% complete. It also differs from the UK models with its larger capacity petrol tank and 19" front wheel rim.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by pgc40; 02/06/2011, 08:28 AM.

Comment

TFS Trail

Thats interesting PGC 40 as there are very few of this model in the UK in fact I know of only two. One restored & the other under restoration with a Cambridge member. Looks like a good buy for someone if the price does not go into silly numbers. The speedo looks like the Smiths type fitted to other British road bikes of the period, BSA Triumph etc. Here is a similar alloy bracket on eBay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Greeves-pre-65...-/260702453368 looks like it takes the smaller UK spec speedo though. Wonder if the sellor is a GRA member?
      I think Frank Conley has a mint TFS trail for sale, its been mentioned on here before, unfortunately shipping costs make it a no no for UK buyers.
      Last edited by John Wakefield; 11/12/2010, 08:39 AM. Reason: link to speedo bracket added

Comment

TFS Trail and CS Ranger models.

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
        The speedo looks like the Smiths type fitted to other British road bikes of the period, BSA Triumph etc. Here is a similar alloy bracket on eBay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Greeves-pre-65...-/260702453368 looks like it takes the smaller UK spec speedo though.

I think Frank Conley has a mint TFS trail for sale, its been mentioned on here before, unfortunately shipping costs make it a no no for UK buyers.
        The bike currently being offered for sale on Frank Conley's website is not a TFS Trail. It is a 24CS Ranger model, specifically the later 1968 model fitted with the steel fuel tank. The pics of the bike on Franks website clearly show the larger (80mm 'shallow') Smiths Speedometer as fitted to the TFS Trail and CS Ranger models. I've repeated the link mentioned here; http://www.greevesguru.com/special.html

The TFS Trial models were fitted with the smaller 60mm instrument. Compare pics 4 and 5 below, and the difference in both size and the style of dials can clearly be seen. (Note; See the following post (below) for further information about these speedometers.) Incidently, pic 5 below is of an American spec. TFS Trial also offered for sale on Frank Conley's website some time ago.

The Ranger models were developed from the TFS Trail models, and the first version was the 1967 24CS Ranger model fitted with the GRP 'desert' type tank. Tim Griffin owns a beautifully restored example here in the UK, which won the award for best off-road machine at the 2007 GRA AGM (see 'LL'#135, June 2007, pp.11.) A small colour picture of Tim's bike also appears in the recent Carrick/Walker book 'Villiers-Everybody's Engine' (pp.244), and there is further information on the TFS Trail and CS Ranger models in the Greeves book by the same authors (pp. 127 and 128.) A reprint of the 'Cycle World' test of the 1968 24CS Ranger appears in 'LL'#68, February 1996, pp. 14 and 15.)

Pic 1.) TFS Trail.

Pic 2.) 24CS Ranger (1967.)

Pic 3.) 24CS Ranger (1968.)

Pic 4.) 24CS Ranger Speedo (1968.)

Pic 5.) 24TFS Trial Speedo (1965.)

Brian.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Brian Thompson; 16/06/2011, 11:20 PM. Reason: Link and pics added.

Comment

Smiths Speedometers fitted to TFS Trail, CS Ranger and TFS Trial models.

The pic below illustrates the two types of Smiths speedometers that were fitted to these models, and are indicated by arrows;

Top; 80mm instrument as fitted to TFS Trail and 24CS Ranger models.

Middle; 60mm instrument as fitted to TFS Trials models.

If any GRA member needs specs, illustrations (inc. speedo drive drawings etc) for Smiths instruments for Greeves and Invacar fittments, give me a shout. I have also supplied comprehensive data on the later for the GRA archives.

Brian.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Brian Thompson; 11/12/2010, 12:35 PM. Reason: Pic added.

Comment

Working...
          X