Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's just a Can Of Worms, int it...!

Originally posted by Rob View Post
    In response to Dangerous Dick's reference to my instrument, I can only say that following my successful stage song and dance debut, I will be sticking to the organ.

Here I can be seen playing the Monopole Wurlitzer Descant Mk4B nicknamed the 'Sink Plunger' although Cinderella does not look over impressed.

I am sorry if this is going off-thread but:

a. It is important I receive ample plaudits for my important stage career.

b. Dick started it even though BT really started it in the first place.

c. If you don't like it, I'll shut the forum down, so there!
    Ha ha....!!! Love it!

Rob,

a. Clearly, you have complete mastery over your organ, which can only be put down to years of dedicated practice. In my stage career, I found it was often not that important what you actually played, as long as you gurned convincingly in order to convey the existential angst imbued with the deep conviction of a true artist. This is admirably demonstrated in the pic above, and when I look at it I can almost hear the passion streaming forth from that tortured Monopole, as you squeeze every last drop (covering the whole gamut of emotion) from it's very soul....Phew, how's that for a plaudit! Just call it a fiver, ok mate?

b. JW started it, the credit should go to him.

c. This thread can't possibly go off topic, it's a 'Can Of Worms', int it....

Brian T.
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 27/12/2013, 11:38 PM. Reason: Spulling and grimmer!

Comment

Going Postal....!

Originally posted by johnrunnacles View Post
      I think they were mentioned somewhere way back in the string of threads???
      I'm surprised that all of this is still masquerading under the title "Postal Charges"!!! Some people won't know what they're missing ..........

Thanks Brian for your encouragement, as if I needed any? Thank you, too, JC for letting me in on Geoff's little secret. I won't see him in the same light ever again! I wish I had known Chris a bit better, too. We could have compared banjo collections!!

And Yes, I owe a lot to Mr. Scruggs, too, and he most certainly owes me for 50+ years of sheer frustration trying to get that god-damned stretched animal skin to sound anything like his virtuoso performances on record and on the box. I only wish I could have met him in this life, and told him straight!!

Anyway, keep the musical references coming, lads and lasses. It sure makes a welcome change from all this here bike business, don't you think?

tongueincheekofburstall
      This thread is flippin' mental JR, true...but I kinda like it!!

John, speaking of frustration with mastering a difficult technique on your instrument (), I was speaking about the very same to Kenny a couple of years back when I showed him the 'revolutionary' new slide guitar technique I've been working on....(pic 1.)

And Rob, don't forget health and safety when you're out 'on the road'....pic 2 shows one of my (very!) old bands 'Raiza' in full flight, just before I accidently put me fag out in one of the 'special' effect magnesium flare boxes (pic 3)..... It was all going so well too, but at least it made it nice and warm in the venue. (Never did find out where my football ended up though....)

Brian T.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Brian Thompson; 28/12/2013, 12:01 PM. Reason: Pics attached.

Comment

Gra agm 2014.

[QUOTE=ADickerson;16892]
        Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
        Great idea Brian, after years of following the same successful formula it's about time the GRA booked a speciality act to pull in those members who've still to experience the delights of the AGM and I'm sure that would bring the crowds flocking in. Bring it on I say, can't wait.....
        Adrian, I always maintained you were a true patron of the arts and man of taste and style....despite what the others say....!

Thank you very much for the vote of confidence for my humble suggestions, but may I also suggest that we insist that the audience wear their helmets during the performance(s), particularly those of a nervous or sensitive disposition...That way we'll all be ready to go for a RIDE on our bikes when all the dust has settled and we've cleaned up all the mess...

Brian T. (....Born To Be Mild )
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Brian Thompson; 27/12/2013, 11:31 PM. Reason: Pic attached.

Comment

Born to be mild!

. Brilliant Brian, just love it! I recognise that photograph, it was used in an edition of Crimewatch when 83 would be "nare do wells" simultaneously had the same idea and turned up at a counter of Bonkleys bank to steal some much needed finance. Unfortunately they were unlucky on that occasion as the annual bonus's to the Hedge fund investors had just been paid out, so all there was in till was an IOU.
          Just to go even further off track, how taught does a guitar string have to be, and, do you find being self taught very stressful?

Comment

The Right Trousers.

Hi mate,

Liked the Bonkley's Bank story, good one!

Now then.......to answer your question, it's all about the trousers. A suitable, loose fitting garment is the way to go I've found (see attached.)

On an 'engineering note' (see what I did there?), it's a little known fact that even a set of light gauge guitar strings will exert over 120lbs of pressure on the neck, which is why it is very important to make sure your truss rod is well adjusted.

Brian T.
            Attached Files

Comment

oohhh!! far to risky!!!!

Very happening strides there young fella!!, but surely a nice safe beige would have been more appropiate....that way, the pic would have appealed to a wider range of the gra membership...

Comment

No, I was wrong....THESE are the right trousers....!

Hi chuckle bro',

Quite right too mate, what was I thinking....!!

I attach a pic by way of making amends, and I can only apologise to all concerned for my heinous disregard towards the wider membership...

Note 'authentic' gaffa tape on sole of boot....

Brian T.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Brian Thompson; 28/12/2013, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Calling the Colonies ............ and JC?

Thinking about it, there must be an International dimension to our banjo debate, or have our good friends in the Colonies not yet penetrated the disguise of this thread title?
                  After all, the banjo is claimed to be the national instrument of the US of A (and its most notable exponent was a US citizen), and I do seem to remember the Seekers arriving amidst a '60's tsunami from Oz so equipped, when the UK favoured instrument of torture was the Hofner Committee cello guitar under the undoubted influence of one Mr. Weedon.

Oh Yes, and JC. Have given your analogy further thought too, John, and I have to agree that it is just like a couple of dustbins rolling down the road, the old metal ones obviously with the side handles. The hammering-on technique typical of bluegrass playing is exemplified by the passage of the handles under the body of the bins. What a shame it was when plastic wheelie bins took over, although they do have more depth to them, capable of better accommodating the full length of a banjo, or two ............... or a few electric guitars, come to think of it!! (Whoops, sorry Brian!)

jonah

Comment

Claw Hammered.

Originally posted by johnrunnacles View Post

What a shame it was when plastic wheelie bins took over, although they do have more depth to them, capable of better accommodating the full length of a banjo, or two ............... or a few electric guitars, come to think of it!! (Whoops, sorry Brian!)

And;

The hammering-on technique.....

jonah
                    Nice one JR.

My problem always was that I was still attached to the guitar most of the time.....

And regarding the hammer-on technique, I've always struggled a bit with that one......perhaps I'm not doing it right, because I'm fine with pull-offs....Yes, I was always quite good at those for some reason.....

Twanger.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 28/12/2013, 01:43 PM. Reason: Pics attached.

Comment

Why I Love Jeff Beck.

Hey Jonah, speaking of technique, check this out.....It gives hope to the rest of us....!!

...and then watch this....and feel all that new found hope 'sliding' away again....

Jeff Beck - GuitarVinnie Colaiuta - DrumsTal Wilkenfeld - BassJason Rebello - Keys

...and then this, just to really feel like giving it all up....!! Jeff's (Australian) bass player Tal Wilkenfeld was around 22 at the time.....!!

That's why I loved my years teaching young people, talent way beyond their years many of 'em....it was a privilege.

November, 2007.Jeff Beck - GuitarVinnie Colaiuta - DrumsTal Wilkenfeld - BassJason Rebello - Keys

For those of a sensitive nature, do have a look....you may even be pleasantly surprised....

Brian T.
                      Last edited by Brian Thompson; 28/12/2013, 02:27 PM. Reason: Links added.

Comment

Ploughing a lone furrow ..........

Thanks a bundle, Brian. You're spoiling me now! It does all make me feel somewhat relieved, though, that I opted for 5 (or more like 4 3/4) strings all those years ago. Escaped being compared with the likes of Mr. Beck in the one "fell swoop"! And, let's face it, with the relative "popularity" of the banjo at the time, I was on pretty safe ground from being compared with anyone else at that time ......... or since, for that matter?
                        Last edited by johnrunnacles; 28/12/2013, 08:24 PM. Reason: Title

Comment

Strange audio levels on the Beck stuff....poor girl on the bass needed more volume!!!!...Meanwhile I'll plug Jan Akkerman, once he got out from under Van Leer's Organ!

Comment

Working...
                          X